Thursday, April 3, 2008

How Alexander Arrived in this World

I have been asked to recount how Alex arrived, so here is the true story, though the story on Aunt Stacey's blog is much more exciting.


On Sunday, March 9th, Alan had breakfast with my dad while I was home on bed rest. All morning, I just didn't feel "right". Dr. Lacey had been having me do kick counts (how many times the baby moves in an hour) which had generally been about 30 movements in an hour. After I ate lunch on Sunday, however, the count was really low--it took a full hour for me to feel 10 movements. We checked my blood pressure and it was 160 over 110, so I called Dr. Lacey and he sent me to the hospital. Alan thought I was just worrying too much, but he agreed we should be checked out.

Dr. Lacey met us at the hospital and he decided that I should be induced. They started me on pitocin (after nearly draining all my blood trying to find a vein that wouldn't rupture) and my contractions began to intensify. Each time I would have a contraction, however, the baby's heart rate would plummet (dropped from 120 bpm to 60). He was not tolerating the labor, so Dr. Lacey said that for my safety and the safety of the baby, I would have to have an emergency c-section and within 30 minutes, I was in the operating room getting a spinal block. The spinal block worked immediately and I did not feel anything during the c-section other than a little pressure. Alan actually watched Alex being delivered (he arrived at 8:18 p.m.). I only got to see Alex for a second before they whisked him off to the NICU (Neonatal ICU) where he was checked to make sure everything was fine. After an hour in the NICU, he went to the regular nursery for his first bath. I got sick in recovery and did not get to actually see Alex again until 5:30 the next morning.

During the delivery, they realized why Alex was not tolerating the contractions . . . the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck 4 times causing severe fetal distress. Had we attempted a vaginal delivery, the outcome could have been devastating. We were very lucky and Dr. Lacey said that I made the best decision in my life by calling him that day. We now have a wonderful, healthy baby and are getting used to having him restructure our lives--for the better! We are having fun and are thankful that he sleeps a good amount each night.

Thanks to all of you who have stopped by, called and just checked on us. We appreciate it very much. Now, I just can't wait until the weather is warm enough that I can enjoy being outside with my little man!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I like Stacy's version better, it doesn't leave me feeling faint and like I almost lost two of the loves of my life.

The Brady Family said...

Sorry, Steph. But at least the outcome was happy!

maskedbadger said...

i'm telling you, that drama is all a smokescreen. you read it and get distracted about the fact that a little guy from another planet got dropped in your midst. he has an incredible amount of power and is just beginning to learn how to use it. just wait until he gets his cowboy pants and then he'll show you a thing or two. oh, and i'm still trying to figure out how to knit a cowboy hat so pretend he's wearing one if you see him. he'll be embarrassed otherwise.

Stephanie said...

if we are all calling the baby Alexander why is his first name Nicolas, shouldn't that be his middle name? is this to confuse him or all of us, just wondering.
he sure is a cutie, so furry and smiley!