Sunday, August 24, 2008

Give me the REAL food


Alex loves "real" food. He has tried and conquered rice cereal, sweet peas, squash, sweet potatoes, carrots and bananas. His favorites so far are carrots and bananas. Those of you who have witnessed his forays in to the real food world have seen how excited he gets as soon as he is seated in his highchair and then how demanding he gets when the spoon is not in his mouth fast enough. Yesterday was the first time he had fruit--bananas--and he actually leaned as far forward as he could, grabbed at the spoon, and demanded more food. In the top picture, I had mixed bananas with rice cereal and he freaked out! I would say that has been his favorite.
I have researched and checked with my pediatrician and have decided to start making my own baby food for Alex. We will see how long that lasts, but I really want to know what is going in to his food and I want to be able to provide similar foods for him as the foods we eat. Alan can't wait until Alex is old enough that we can puree some Spanish foods for him!

4 comments:

Mauby said...

I've been feeding Ocean fresh avocadoes. He loves the avocado because I let him hold really super thin smooshy pieces in his own hand and feed himself. He LOVES to think he is a grown up and giving him his own slice(that looks like mommy's) to eat makes him soo happy! I bet you could start blending up some Spanish food soon! I know a lot of my girlfriends down her(Miami) do that from the start. Even with rice....

zznemo08 said...

Oh sweet jesus that is funny...I like Earth's Best. It's organic and the ingredient list is "carrots" for carrots, etc...

George is making food for them as well, but truthfully it's one more task I can do without.

maskedbadger said...

he said the other day he thought you should start with brisket. he also said something about sqirrel kebabs, which i told him was disgusting. his response was that folks in the midwest always stew squirrels and that's why they're so gamy. he said you make kebabs and put a lot of lime on them with a little chile and it's tasty. i told him if he could convince you to blend up grilled squirrel kebabs i'd send him some squirrels.

but then i got to thinking and i said to him, "if you know all this, why don't you just do it yourself and quit bugging me about the stupid squirrels?" and he said, "you told me to lay low about my skills."

The Brady Family said...

maybe he had squirrel kebabs and that is what has his belly in an uproar!!